So You Want a Website- Now What?
When you want to create a website for your business, there are literally thousands of different options, most of them confusing and some of them downright conflicting. Here are five things you should evaluate up front in order to make the process as easy as possible:
- Your target audience. It sounds simple, but who are you trying to reach? Sitting down to analyze who you want to reach with your website will inform many of your other decisions, including hosting, design, and content.
- Your goals. Are you trying to draw new customers, sell products online, provide information, some combination of these, or perhaps something else? Each of these would require a slightly different approach.
- Hosting. There are dozens of options for web hosting, many of them offering great deals and promotions to get your business. That said, it pays to do some research as not all hosting companies are created equal. It is also true that you get what you pay for. Discount mega hosting companies may have popular advertising campaigns and be the first companies that come to mind, but they aren’t always the most reliable or secure. It pays to do your homework here.
- Site Design. It cannot be overstated that design can make or break your website. If your target audience has to figure out how to use your website, something is wrong. The easier and more intuitive the experience, the better your website will be. Responsive design is a must and will make it easy to access your website no matter how your audience uses the internet.
Did you know? According to StatCounter.com, more than 50% of users access web content via their mobile device. As of November 2016, for the first time in history, mobile internet usage surpassed desktop usage and this trend has continued through all of 2017.
Source: StatCounter.com – Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet Market Share Worldwide
- Ongoing Maintenance. Websites are not a static method of growing your business. In order to reach the largest audience possible, you need to refine your website and add new content regularly to keep it from stagnating. Additionally, you need ongoing maintenance to keep your website secure and up to date.
These are only five components of a successful website, and while they can be daunting, they will always pay off in the long run. However, there’s more to it than that. Stay tuned or subscribe to the site as my next post will cover the topic “5 Things You Need to Know About SEO”.
As always, if you’re feeling lost, give me a call at 858-461-9736 or click here to contact me today for a free consultation.